Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Supreme Court Case / My Argument

Supreme Court Case / My Argument
I have to agree with the final decision of the Supreme Court. The 2 Live Crew had taken an original and created a new work from it. They only used the base line from the original, changed the tempo of the song and wrote their own lyrics to the new version of the song. It doesn’t sound nothing like the original, but the original comes to mind only because of the base melody. Under these circumstances, I believe that they borrowed enough to create their own version of the song. I think that everybody borrows to a certain extent, but if you don’t make it into a new piece of work then you are either committing plagiarism or an infringement, or both. In this case, 2 Live Crew committed neither because they have followed the four conditions under section 7 of the Copyright law.

No comments:

Post a Comment